This photo show a bit more detail of the panel gluing process. Epoxy won’t stick to wax paper, so I use that between the epoxy and anything I don’t want it to stick to. As you can see, the weights are improvised. I sawed apart a couple of 20 lb. dumb-bells that I no longer use for weight lifting, so that I would have four 10 lb. weights. For additional weights, bricks were easily acquired and very inexpensive.
Monthly Archives: November 2019
Finishing up gluing panels and the cockpit apron.
Continuing to glue panels.
Starting to glue the panels to their full lengths.
These are the starboard side panels (if memory serves). I used the left over epoxy to fill the open grain on the cockpit coaming pieces.
Hull panels laid out.
Hull panels out of the box and laid out, ready to be glued to their full lengths. You can see the deck panels still in the box on the floor. I will actually glue all of the panels for one side of the kayak at at time. I just had the hull panels for both sides on the table to look at the grain and kind-of get the “lay of the land.”
Unboxing the kit.
This is it. Kayak in a box. There is another box that has the epoxy, fiberglass, deck rigging, hatch and bulkhead kit, etc. in it.
I built a dust barrier out of scrap wood, shower curtain liners, and gaffer’s tape. I hope it will help to hold heat in the shop side of the garage and keep the sanding dust somewhat isolated.